Moms, dads, grandparents, teachers…PLEASE share this story by entertainer Paula Abdul with every kid you come across
“When I was 7, my parents went through a divorce. At the time, I carpooled to school with two friends—Karen and Leslie. Twice a week, they had ballet lessons, so I had to watch until they finished.
“At home, I’d remember every floor exercise and the barre work they had done. I’d hang onto the kitchen sink and practice what I saw. Since my parents were divorcing, it wasn’t a good idea to ask them about ballet lessons. But one day, the teacher saw my feet moving and came over to ask why I wasn’t taking a class.
“I told her that I didn’t think my family could afford the lessons. She said, ‘So what are you going to do about that?’ I thought for a moment and said, ‘What if I cleaned the floors, the bathrooms and mirrors for lessons?’ We had a deal.
“I quickly advanced to the adult class. One day the teacher had me demonstrate a routine. When I finished I was beaming. She said, ‘Look, Paula has short, squatty legs and arms…’
“I ran to the bathroom and cried. What I didn’t hear was what she said next: ‘…but she executed better than all of you with your long, graceful arms and legs.’ In the bathroom, I decided that nothing was going to stop me from doing what I loved to do.”
Abdul went on to become a Los Angeles Lakers cheerleader, a Grammy-winning dancer, an award-winning choreographer, an actress and a singer…with six Billboard #1 singles and two #1 albums.
This is the kind of attitude that is uniquely and quintessentially American. It’s the kind of attitude we used to cherish and champion rather than whine and complain and act as if everybody is somehow “entitled” to success without sacrifice.
It’s the kind of attitude we need to get back if we’re going to make America great again. Thank goodness we’ll soon have a president who can lead by example in this department.
Dr. Chuck Muth, PsD
Professor of Psephology (homeschooled)
Nevada’s #1 Irritator of Liberals and RINOs
OUR DOGGONE THANKSGIVING STORY TAKES BAD TURN
Remember that little dog we rescued off the street the day before Thanksgiving which miraculously turned out to be the same dog our former babysitter lost two years ago?
Well, we all went to the UNLV basketball game Saturday night…and when we got home, “Baby” was gone. Before we had a chance to get him micro-chipped or…stupidly on our part…a tag for his collar.
How he got out of our completely fenced yard is a mystery. He *might* have sneaked out when a friend came over to pick up their dog who we were also dog-sitting. Or maybe he’s a shape-shifter and morphed himself into a pancake and slid under the wrought-iron gate.
In any event, we drove and walked around the neighborhood around 10 pm for an hour looking for the little escape artist. No joy. Hearts broken. Poor thing back on the streets again.
Gia posted a “lost dog” notice on our neighborhood chat forum and, lo and behold, one of our neighbors a block away had found “Baby,” locked him in their garage (the little pisser pees everywhere!), saw the notice when they woke up Sunday morning and called Gia.
So somehow, against all odds, we got him back again and will be getting him micro-chipped today come hell or high water. And I think we need to rename him “Miracle.”
- Obama Offers Condolences to Castro Family, ‘Hand of Friendship’
- Rubio, Gingrich: Obama Must Not Attend Castro’s Funeral
- Jesse Jackson’s Tweet Praising Castro Draws Ire
- Huckabee Slams Kaepernick for Comments Supporting Castro
- Kerry: US to Continue Supporting Engagement With Cuba
- Trump May Not Continue Obama’s Open Relations With Cuba
- Trump: ‘Brutal Dictator’ Caused ‘Unimaginable Suffering’
- Rep. King: World Is Better Place Because of Castro’s Death
- Clinton Campaign Joining State Recount Effort
- Conway: Party Unity, Sure, But Romney as Head of State? No
- Trump Asks: ‘Mitt or Rudy’?
- Conway: Election Recount Proves Clinton ‘Sore Loser’
- Clinton Relented on Conceding Only at Obama’s Urging
- Reddit CEO Apologizes for Secretly Editing Trump Supporters’ Posts
- NY Post: Trump to Pressure Foreign Allies to Probe Clinton Foundation
- Governors to Take Active Role in Obamacare’s Repeal, Replacement
- When Israelis See Donald Trump, Many Think of Legendary Leader Menachem Begin
- South Korea Reverberates With ‘Lock Her Up’ in Park Scandal
* * * Black Democrat Congressman Danny Davis of Chicago lost his 15-year-old grandson just before Thanksgiving. He was shot in the head during an argument with a 16-year-old boy and 17-year-old girl over a pair of…tennis shoes.
Like any good liberal, Rep. Davis “questioned how the teenagers responsible were able to get a gun” rather than questioning inner city black culture that somehow promotes gun violence as an acceptable means of conflict resolution for even the most minor of arguments.
* * * A transgendered police officer in San Diego was discriminated against and banned from a community event on Saturday, not because he/she was transgendered – but because he/she was a police officer!
And get this: The event Officer Christine Garcia was banned from was Transgender Awareness Day being held at the San Diego LGBT Community Center. Garcia “was asked to leave because her uniform could upset others in attendance.” Wow. Such tolerance.
- Anger Rooms: A Smashing New Way to Relieve Stress
- A Donald Trump-Led Trip Back to the Gold-Plated ’80s
NEVADA NEWS & VIEWS
- Fidel Castro dies at 90
- How Donald Trump responded to the death of Fidel Castro, ‘a brutal dictator’
- Will Obama hold fire on Trump?
- Amazon reviewers have fun with Trump’s $149 Christmas ornament
- Fidel Castro dies: What now for US-Cuba relations?
FAMOUS LAST WORDS
“We don’t even know if Mitt Romney voted for Donald Trump. I’m all for party unity, but I’m not sure we have to pay for that with the secretary of state position. . . . I think there are concerns that those of us who are loyal have, and you want a secretary of state who is loyal to the president and the president’s vision of the world.” – Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway