(Chuck Muth) – OK, read this Muth’s Truths response to Nikki Haley’s call for the government to force social media companies to ban anonymous speech – and be ready for the kicker at the end…
* * *
Well, slap me with a wet noodle and call me shocked!
Nikki Haley, in a stunning display of ignorance, has decided to play the authoritarian card, calling for the verification of all social media users in the name of “national security.”
Can someone please remind Ms. Haley that we’re in America, not some dystopian regime where free speech goes to die?
Now, I don’t know what kind of Kool-Aid she’s been sipping, but Haley seems to have forgotten a little thing called the First Amendment. You know, that pesky detail about freedom of speech?
Apparently, she missed the memo that anonymous speech is as American as apple pie. I mean, last time I checked, the Founding Fathers weren’t exactly plastering their faces on Twitter while they were drafting the Constitution.
And speaking of the Founding Fathers, let’s take a trip down memory lane, shall we?
Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, James Madison — ever heard of them, Nikki? They wrote the Federalist Papers anonymously. Yes, that’s right, ANONYMOUSLY!
They weren’t ‘national security threats’; they were patriots exercising their right to speak their minds without fear of persecution.
But here comes Haley, waltzing in with her “national security threat” boogeyman, trying to scare us into sacrificing our constitutional rights on the altar of verification. I’ve got news for you, Nikki, this proposal is not only blatantly unconstitutional, but it’s also downright un-American.
And let’s not forget the chorus of critics, including Ron DeSantis and Vivek Ramaswamy, who rightly called out Haley’s dangerous and misguided proposal. And for good reason!
Anonymous speech is a fundamental aspect of our democracy, allowing citizens to express their opinions without fear of retribution.
But oh no, Nikki Haley thinks she knows better. She wants to expose the algorithms of social media companies and force everyone to reveal their true identities.
Newsflash, Ms. Haley: We don’t need a Big Brother watching over us, deciding what is and isn’t acceptable speech.
So, before Nikki Haley starts measuring the drapes for the Oval Office, maybe she should crack open a history book and learn a thing or two about the principles that make this country great. Because advocating for the suppression of anonymous speech is not only a slippery slope, but it’s a direct assault on the very foundations of our democracy.
Nice try, Nikki, but we’ll pass on your authoritarian vision for America.
* * *
Now, here’s the kicker…
I didn’t write that. Though it certainly sounds like me, doesn’t it?
No, artificial intelligence (AI) wrote it. I told ChatGPT to “Write in the style of Chuck Muth and compose a fiery response to Nikki Haley’s call to outlaw anonymous speech.”
The above was what came back.
Frankly, if I’d written it myself it would likely have been much different. But it also would have taken me the better part of an hour or more. ChatGPT cranked it out in all of 5 seconds!
And close enough is close enough in many instances.
Don’t worry. I DON’T use ChatGPT to write Muth’s Truths. Frankly, it would take all the fun out of it. Writing, for me, is kinda like therapy.
But you need to know the power of this new technology – especially as it relates to today’s political campaigns.
I’m a writer who’s been studying copywriting for the better part of three decades. But many candidates aren’t.
And ChatGPT can be used to help those candidates draft blog posts, social media posts, op-eds, speeches, fundraising letters, position statements, etc.
Heck, anyone who can do a Google search and knows how to ask questions could become a communications director for many campaigns using ChatGPT, especially for down-ballot candidates operating on a shoestring budget who can’t afford to hire a press secretary.
If you’re interested in learning more about how this powerful new technology can be used in politics, click here to read my special report on it…
If You’re Tired of Spinning Your Wheels at GOP Meetings…
A number of you have written asking how to get involved, and who to get involved with, other than the Republican Party since you don’t want to waste your time at meetings dominated by fights over bylaws, rules, and resolutions.
Here are some suggestions…
- If you want to work on stopping Ranked Choice Voting, contact Marcos Lopez at the Nevada Policy Research Institute at (702) 222-0642.
- If you’re interested in doing precinct work in Clark County, contact Iris Stone at Nevadans CAN at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you’re interested in helping us clean up the voter rolls, sign up to get our Pigpen Project updates by clicking here.
- If you’re interested in getting involved in state legislative races, I’ve been to a couple of excellent presentations by the Nevada Wins PAC. Might wanna check them out. Click here.
- If school choice – especially Opportunity Scholarships for low-income students in Nevada – floats your boat, Valeria Gurr of the Nevada Federation for Children is kicking butt and taking names. Click here.
- If you’re interested in parental rights, especially as they relate to what’s being taught in classrooms, Power2Parent, led by Erin Phillips, is a great group to get involved with. Click here for more info.
- If you’re a gun rights supporter, you might want to get involved with the Nevada Firearms Coalition, led by Randy Mackie. Info here.
- If you’re a pro-life supporter, you can’t go wrong getting involved with Nevada Right to Life, led by Melissa Clement. Info here.
Hope this helps. If I think of others, I’ll post ‘em here in future editions of Muth’s Truths.
7 Worst Habits of Highly Unelectable People
- Picking the wrong race
- Picking the wrong district
- Picking the wrong issues
- Picking the wrong time
- Picking the wrong consultants
- Picking unnecessary fights with the media
- Picking door-knocking over fundraising
FAMOUS LAST WORDS
“There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.” – James Madison (1788)
Mr. Muth is president of Citizen Outreach, publisher of Nevada News & Views, and founder of CampaignDoctor.com. You can sign up for his conservative, Nevada-focused e-newsletter at MuthsTruths.com. His views are his own.